With Germany located in the center of Europe and the expanding European Union, the capital city of Berlin plays a strategic role in the Eurasian continent and even world. This vibrant German city is home to 3.5 million people from over 180 nations and boasts a rich history, lively creative arts and fashion scene, academic depth and unique blend of old world and contemporary culture from around the globe.
But it also has a dark side. Urban centers like Berlin are often a magnet for the most vulnerable and traumatized of society, including women in prostitution, victims of human trafficking, refugees and asylum-seekers, and at-risk youth. Many of these are in search of a listening ear and patient conversations of truth in which they can unpack the traumas of their past.
Utilize your skills and expertise in mental health counseling to informally offer mentoring and counsel to people in desperate need of healing. Goers with a heart for society's most marginalized will offer a tangible representation of Christ to those who long to encounter the true Healer.
- Compassion for others in difficult situations
- Ability to set and hold personal boundaries related to time, energy and finances
- Ability to listen well and empathize
- Strong biblical understanding of Christian faith and theology of suffering
- Heart to serve and learn from others
- General knowledge of human trafficking worldwide and efforts to fight it a plus
- Experience or training in particular therapies (occupational, physical, art, etc.), community development, health, social work, working with at risk populations or addictions/recovery programs a plus
- Degrees in social work, nursing, occupational or physical therapy, advocacy, social change, fitness or counseling a plus
- Personal health, healing and resolution regarding past emotional or personal wounds (required)