Located in the lush jungle mountains of the central Peruvian Amazon, the Yanesha people live in over 40 rural communities. Although they were reached by Wycliff missionaries in the 60s, the spiritual awakening experienced by that generation has faded and the Yanesha churches are small and elderly. The youth are becoming increasingly connected with the outside world despite not having electricity or good cell phone service. But the church has little to offer or attract them. Our prayer is that the church would not die with its founders.
This is a pivotal time in the lives of this new Yanesha generation. Their world and exposure to it is changing quickly and this team is looking to prepare them with the Truth and wisdom to be ready for these impending changes that “modern society” will usher in. We need men and women to focus on the youth in several key communities through three local high schools and other outreach events. This small team has begun work in the areas of training young church leaders and in community development and needs more skilled Goers to join!
Current projects include teaching English and religion classes at the high schools and soccer outreach. However, sports (soccer and volleyball primarily) and music outreach are other strategic methods this team would like to include.
This team lives several hours from “Yanesha land” in a jungle city and travels there several times a month. Goers would come alongside schools and families as a positive support, demonstrating the love of Christ, the fun that can be had without alcohol and drugs, and that Jesus is the answer for them just as it was for their grandparents. When we are not traveling to the Yanesha area, Goers will have the opportunity to get involved with local youth groups and teach at a local Christian school and elsewhere in town.
- *Single Men or Married Couples only
- Ministry Experience with youth
- Biblical/Theological training
- Enjoys travel (on dirt roads)
- Some Spanish skills (and willingness to further study here if needed)
- Willing to work under team leaders and Yanesha leaders
- Teaching, Sports, Musical skills would be helpful
- Character: Patience, Discernment in ambiguous situations, Flexibility, Works well under authority and on a team, Positive attitude in hot and uncomfortable surroundings