The spiritual climate in Genoa, Italy is decidedly dormant, both post-Christian and postmodern. In this ancient, yet strategic port city of 650,000 people, less than 1% profess a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Recent financial crisis, however, coupled with a wave of immigration due to the refugee crisis have, together, fostered new avenues for change. Millions of migrant peoples, many from nations previously closed to missionaries, have been uprooted from their homes and are open to new possibilities. Countless more marginalized peoples' from gypsies, to victims of sex trafficking, to the poor are more desperate than ever for life transformation. The window to seize upon these opportunities is now.
Applicants will come alongside a team that is carrying out 3 projects toward that end, with the opportunity to serve one such project in a primary role as well as the others in a secondary role.
Here is a description of each project:
- In 2011, Mani del Maestro (Hands of the Master) was started by the Avant team as a non-profit to help bring gospel proclamation and demonstration to the least and the lost. Since then, a small, inner-city church has been born largely among impoverished Italians. The church now gathers at the Mani del Maestro community center (both led by Italian team members Francesco and Claudia), which helps to feed up to dozens of families each week. Francesco and Claudia are seeking candidates (either a married couple or up to 2 singles of the same gender) that have a heart for pastoral care as well as serving the poor.
- At the same time, Progetto Uscita (The Exit Project) was launched to combat the historic and escalating problem of sex trafficking in Genoa. This outreach ministry, led by team member Miranda, has now shared the love of Jesus with hundreds of victims and is part of a national Christian alliance against sex trafficking in Italy, which helped make it possible for a victim to leave the streets last year. Miranda is also on the leadership committee for the national alliance and has many responsabilities with that as well. Miranda is seeking candidates (up to 2 single women) who can help to expand the reach and effectiveness of Progetto Uscita and The Radiant Treasures Alliance as well as balance the load of looking after two toddlers. These candidates must have a love for children.
- Finally, opportunities have abounded to share the Gospel with migrant communities like African refugees, Roma, and Sinti peoples. Since 2018, team member Dustin has led this effort, Ripe Fields, to catalyze church planting movements amongst peoples that will, perhaps, only be in Genoa and Italy for a short while. Dustin is looking for candidates (either a married couple or up to 2 single men) who desire share a heartbeat for disciple-making and a compassion to serve the least.
- Conversational fluency in either Spanish or Italian to communicate w/ Francesco and Claudia Progetto Uscita
- Passionate about combating modern-day sex trafficking
- Love for children
- Ripe Fields: CPM training (in-person and online options are available)