With Germany located in the center of Europe and the expanding European Union, the capital city of Berlin plays a strategic role in the Eurasian continent and even world. This vibrant German city is home to 3.5 million people from over 180 nations and boasts a rich history, lively creative arts and fashion scene, academic depth and unique blend of old world and contemporary culture from around the globe.
However, Berlin's unique history and ethnic diversity has created a large displacement of youth. Goers have the opportunity to reach into these subcultures and disciple the next generations of Berliners. Focuses include...
Immigrant Youth - With one in four people having heritage outside of Germany, reaching 2nd and 3rd generation youth is a great challenge and is mostly overlooked by the church. Use your passion for youth and interest in youth culture to work with local churches that reach out to specific subcultures or multiethnic youth cultures. Goers will do this by building relationships with young people of bicultural or tricultural backgrounds (varying cultures, languages, educations, worldviews) and assisting in both church and community youth programs.
Marginalized Youth - Many communities of former Soviet East Berlin continue to battle economic, academic, and spiritual poverty, leaving children and youth in need of practical as well as spiritual and emotional support from caring mentors as they grow up in a strong atheistic subculture. Use your passion for youth and interest in youth culture to work with local churches that reach out to a subculture of generationally atheistic youth. Goers will build relationships with young people of various backgrounds and assist in both church and community youth programs.
- Demonstrated abilities working with children/youth and organizational skills
- Strong understanding of the Christian faith as it relates to the moral, relational and spiritual development of youth
- Ability to take the initiative in pursuing relationships
- Relational skills to engage children/youth patiently and on their terms
- Ability to communicate truth sensitively and directly when needed
- Experience or training in counseling, at-risk youth, social problems, family systems a plus
- Specific skills in arts, music, sports, skateboarding and other youth interests a plus