Located in the lush jungle mountains of the central Peruvian Amazon, the Yanesha people live in over 40 rural communities. Although they were reached by Wycliff missionaries in the 60s, the spiritual awakening experienced by that generation has faded and the Yanesha churches are small and elderly. The youth are becoming increasingly connected with the outside world despite not having electricity or good cell service. But the church has little to offer or attract them. Our prayer is that the church would not die with its founders. This is a pivotal time in the lives of this new Yanesha generation. Their world and exposure to it is changing quickly and this team is looking to prepare them with the Truth and wisdom needed to be ready for these impending changes that "modern society" will usher in.
Many of the children and youth desire to learn English, recognizing the value it has in their futures, making now the key time to teach them in a gospel-centered way. We see English as a strategic way to continue entering the classroom, engaging students, and sharing the Gospel. This small team has begun work in the areas of training young church leaders and in community development and needs more skilled Goers to join!
Current projects include teaching English and religion classes at three of the Yanesha high schools as well as several of the elementary schools, and soccer outreach. It is only a matter of time before Peru will follow other countries in prohibiting religious education in schools, but for now the door is open to share freely in the classrooms! This team lives several hours from "Yanesha land" in a jungle city and travels there a couple times a month. Goers would have the opportunity to teach in the schools of several communities while demonstrating the love of Christ and building relationships with this next generation. When we are not traveling to the Yanesha area, Goers will have the opportunity to teach at a local Christian school and elsewhere in town.
- Ability to design and facilitate English language learning for various age groups ESL or TESOL certification would be helpful.
- Teaching degree required.
- Experience desired.
- Mature and flexible Christian with a servant heart who works well under authority and on a team with a passion for working with children and youth.
- Enjoys travel and adventure - lots of dirt roads.
- Some Spanish skills and a willingness to study further if needed
- Character qualities: Discernment in ambiguous situations, patient, positive attitude in hot and sometimes uncomfortable surroundings, self-motivator, self-starter, willing to learn from others.