With Germany located in the center of Europe and the expanding European Union, the capital city of Berlin plays a strategic role in the Eurasian continent and even world. This vibrant German city is home to 3.5 million people from over 180 nations and boasts a rich history, lively creative arts and fashion scene, academic depth and unique blend of old world and contemporary culture from around the globe. Berlin is one of the largest consumers of the European sex trade. Since 2002 prostitution has been legal in Germany, creating demand for trafficked individuals.
There are only a few ministries reaching out and providing services to prostituted women or victims of the sex industry, and they are in great need of full-time volunteer workers. Volunteers serve in a range of capacities which demonstrate love and build bridges among marginalized and victimized women while also helping to build awareness within the German church (both formally and informally). Live out your heart for the vulnerable by assisting in a drop-in center for women on the street, serving as an informal counselor to those in trauma, participating in regular prayer and outreach teams within Berlin's red-light district, and sharing the love of Christ with some of Berlin's most marginalized people.
- Compassion for others in difficult situations
- Ability to listen well and empathize
- Strong biblical understanding of Christian faith and theology of suffering
- Heart to serve and learn from others
- General knowledge of trafficking worldwide and efforts to fight it a plus
- Experience or training in counseling, social work, community development, working with at risk populations, addictions/recovery programs is a plus
- Degrees in social work, human development, advocacy, social change or counseling a plus
- Personal health, healing and resolution regarding past emotional or personal wounds (required)